How to Use Samsung Pay on Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 in India?
The Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 have recently been upgraded to OneUI 5. The update brings the latest Wear OS 4 software and enables tap-to-pay functionality through NFC. Here’s the full guide to install and use Samsung Pay on your Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 or 5 in India.
Activate Samsung Pay on Galaxy Watch 4 or 5 in India
When first launched, the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 didn’t support Samsung Pay in India and several other regions. This was a bummer, considering tap-to-pay is one of the most anticipated features of the smartwatch.
It was only in September 2023 that Samsung started pushing the OneUI Watch 5 update with Wear OS 4, Samsung Pay (tap-to-pay), enhanced sleep tracking, a new layout for watch faces and tiles, the latest security patch, and other features.
After you update your Galaxy Watch to OneUI 5, the smartwatch will prompt you to install the Samsung Pay app. Once you do so, the app will be available in the app drawer. After that, follow the steps given below:
1. Launch the “Samsung Pay” app on your Samsung Galaxy Watch from the app drawer.
2. Tap and hold the back button to open the app. Go through the tips and usage instructions, after which it will ask you to continue the process on your phone.
3. Download the Samsung Pay plug-in when prompted. Open it, allow the required permissions, and sign in to your Samsung account.
4. Open it, select Add Card, and then Add Payment Card.
5. Tap Set Lock. Choose between Pattern or PIN on your watch to set a lock.
6. On the mobile app, tap Next and position your card inside the frame to add it automatically. You can also add a card using NFC or enter the details manually.
7. Enter the cardholder’s name, security code, and other details, and tap Next.
8. Agree to the issuer’s terms of service and verify your card using SMS or email.
9. Once the card is added, tap and hold the back button on your Galaxy Watch for 1-2 seconds. Enter the PIN or password you set.
10. Hold your Galaxy Watch near the NFC reader to pay.
The amount will be debited and paid within a few seconds, similar to contactless transactions on your debit or credit card.
Samsung Pay App Keeps Asking for Updating the Watch?
Many users reported a strange issue where the Samsung Pay app repeatedly prompted them to update the smartwatch. But since the Galaxy Watch was already running the latest version, it trapped them in a loop, not letting them use Samsung Pay.
This was due to a mismatch in the name of the Samsung mobile payment service. Earlier this year, Samsung Pay was rebranded to Samsung Wallet, but the same wasn’t updated on the watch, and hence, it kept looking for the Samsung Pay service instead.
Fortunately, the problem has been resolved, and you can now use Samsung Pay on your Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 without any issues.
This is how you can enable and use Samsung Pay on Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 in India. I hope the above guide helps you make contactless payments at shops, fuel stations, and restaurants with your Samsung smartwatch. Stay tuned for more such tips, tricks, and how-tos around gadgets you use.
You might be interested in:
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse YouTube Channel.